[Magdalen] Another active shooter situation.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 3 08:07:27 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 02:50, Scott Knitter wrote:
> I had the use of a car this evening to drive to church for Evening
> Prayer and Mass, so I listened to the BBC World Service on XM 120 as I
> tooled down Lake Shore Drive. The BBC is one of the shrinking breed of
> broadcasters that still regard their duty to report accurately and not
> to have their own talking heads spew their own opinions around the
> clock. The San Bernardino story was being juggled (masterfully, I must
> say) with the UK parliamentary approval of attacks on ISIL/ISIS/IS.

The World Service is funded by an annual grant, the level of which is
fixed for several years at a time, from the UK government so it doesn't
have to appeal to shareholders or other financial supporters, apart from
the government of the day.  Whichever party is in power knows that it
will be criticised if they apply pressure and that the next government
would apply pressure the other way and that they know it would harm the
BBC's reputation for neitrality. The domestic production is also
politically neutral by charter and the same reporters and overall news
team are used for all channels.

Roger.