[Magdalen] Exorcism

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 8 17:13:04 UTC 2015

On 08/12/2015 14:18, Ian Gomersall wrote:
> I wonder what people's views are on evil as an entity - and so also on
> exorcism.
>
> We're running an occasional series on Big Questions at our church and
> Exorcism is the current one.
>
> Have a look at:
>   https://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/exorcism-a-big-question/
> <https://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/exorcism-a-big-question/>
>
> When I think of some of the evil things that groups of people have done /
> do, I can't help but think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

Ian,

I do believe in the existence of evil and of evil presence in people and
places.  Indeed I have some sensitivity in that area and generally I
agree with Georgia.  This is an area to be treated with great care.
Sometimes formal exorcism may be required, but very rarely, and the C/E
House of Bishops have laid down guidelines which are similar to the ones
Georgia cited.  Jay is right that some Pentecostal churches believe that
demons are just about everywhere and their pastors will "exorcise" these
supposed demons.  I share her opinion of such practices and note that
exorcisms have resulted in a number of deaths.

What I have done is call down God's blessing on someone (this was a
Maundy Thursday evening - not a good time to try and get hold of the
bishop) and I felt the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through me to
her.  Years later I was called to somebody's house (a Muslim's gouse as
it happens, the request having come through a nominal Chriustian). As I
went round the house there was a room where I certainly detected what I
believed to be the presence of evil. Again I called on God to cleanse
and bless the place.  Again I felt that the atmosphere had lightened and
heard later that the family were happier in the house after my visit.

Exorcism is not something to be undertaken lightly but only after die
care, including a psychiatric assessment if someone believes they are
possessed.

Roger