[Magdalen] "Services of the Church" (hello CoE folk).

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 9 05:39:17 UTC 2015

I might have asked about this particular volume in my library before, but I think not.  Needless to say from what you'll learn below, it's not terribly searchable internet-wise.

Many moons ago I bought from a seller at eBay a fat volume called "Services of the Church", comprised of the CoE BCP and "The Lessons" (1922 Lectionary), Cambridge University Press, and as far as I can tell, published on or shortly after 1950, as that's the earliest date in the Easter chart (which ends with 1980, if that matters).  It is leather-bound, gold gilt edged, and smells to high heaven of something -- meaning the leather and pages, the entire thing, has a "musty" smell that is unlike anything I've ever smelled in a book, and in fact lingers on the skin and in the nostrils for long after one puts it down.  It's really a lovely volume, and clearly marketed for clerical-only use (I would assume).  The previous owner was a Rev Alan Walker of London, chaplain at the Univ of Westminster.  I don't remember how it came about, but I know for a fact that I emailed said Walker about now owning the volume in question, and received a nice note in reply.

The question of the hour:  What is the significance of this volume?  If any?  Is it rare?  Does it matter?  What gives?  (Roger?)