[Magdalen] "Services of the Church" (hello CoE folk).

Ian Gomersall ian.gomersall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:00:27 UTC 2015

Hi Mike

Such volumes were intended principally for the clergy, but laity too used
them. They were a handy book insofar as they contained everything needed
for the daily prayers (and more) of the Church of England of that time in
one (albeit fat) volume.

These books are becoming rare - they were never plentiful. However they are
sought after by Prayer Book enthusiasts and by some clergy who for a change
wish to revert for a week or two, or a season or holiday, to traditional
language forms. That can be enriching. In fact most of the book will still
be authorised for use in the Church of England, but in practyice not found
very often compared with more modern rites.

Sadly the way of modern revisions one needs several books now to perform
the task this smaller volume did.

A leather bound gilt edged edition sounds a little treasure. The 'musty'
smell (sometimes incense soaked smell) is not uniusual and adds character!
I find the smell can be reduced if a book is placed outside, opened, in a
fresh air for a while

Kind regards

Ian

*Ian Gomersall*