[Magdalen] Assembly Line Christmas.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 22 01:53:52 UTC 2015

On 22/12/2015 01:16, Scott Knitter wrote:
> I've listened to a couple of their Sunday services; I believe they do
> four of those on the hour: 8, 9, 10, and 11 or something like that.
>
> They seem to have perfected the fine art of the 40-minute service,
> somehow fitting in the sermon and Communion on occasion. I wanted to
> listen to a service to see how they fitted everything into less than
> an hour, and the service was actually over in something like 37
> minutes! A well-oiled machine. Not sure that's a good thing in the
> long run, but it does get four Sunday services done, I guess.

I certainly would not want to be part of an "every hour on the hour"
pattern of services in the same church, particularly if they have large
numbers of communicants to cope with.  That said I recall as a Curate
sometimes celebrating four Eucharists in four different churches using
four different rites in a Sunday morning.  As a supplu priest now I will
generally finish the service in less than 60 minutes, hopefully taking
it at a relatively reverent pace, but with a modest number of communicants.

Roger