[Magdalen] Church Crawl

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Dec 25 22:25:42 UTC 2015

St Bart's was great this morning -- I got my dose of Malcolm's "Mass at the
Crib" -- which for me means Christmas Mass; and I-De o o o -- one of my
favorites that usually gets omitted during the season.

There was a "new" (for me at least) a tune for "In the bleak midwinter" by Bob
Chilcott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzd9U6SQVqw

The TWS Service is at:

https://www.trinitywallstreet.org/video/choral-prelude-and-christmas-eve-festive-choral-eucharist-0

The Bairstow is at 48:10

The Nicene Creed Paraphrase is at 1:11:28

Here's the text by Timothy Dudley Smith;

1 We believe in God the Father,
God Almighty, by whose plan
earth and heaven sprang into being,
all created things began.
We believe in Christ the Savior,
Son of God in human frame,
virgin born, the child of Mary,
upon whom the Spirit came.

2 Christ, who on the cross forsaken,
like a lamb to slaughter led,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
he descended to the dead.
We believe in Jesus risen,
heaven’s king to rule and reign,
to the Father’s side ascended
till as judge he comes again.

I'm sure that at least some of our listsibs are quite familiar with the
traditional Lutheran Bach Chorale paraphrase, which many Lutheran churches use
in  lieu of the "tradition" Nicene Creed. I've always liked it --

If you're unfamiliar with it, try this link . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSIneFBvtPo

The anthem is at 1:18"41

Enjoy!

Merry Christmas