[Magdalen] Citizen Trump.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 23:07:51 UTC 2015

THANK you for this, Jim.

I posted earlier on Steve Secaur's page about earlier...it's been bothering
me for the past two weeks or more and I've been wondering how or whether to
say something, hopefully without causing offence as an "outsider" as it
were.

Every time I open my FB there are at least three items in the
newsfeed, featuring Donald Trump. All of them posted by liberal/Democrat
supporting FB friends, and all of them either reacting to one of the man's
daily outrages, or else analysing some aspect of said outrage.

All I want is for this to STOP.  I realise it's early days yet and I'm far
away (and not well versed in US politics other than what we talk about
here). But it bothers me that there's so little from anyone else, other
than similar outrages which other would-be Republican candidates
occasionally commit, though not with the same frequency or skill.

I've barely heard of Bernie Sanders and although everyone in the world
knows Hillary Clinton from her role in the State Department, I have little
idea of what her campaign is all about.

As the song goes about Nellie the Elephant, "off she set with a trumpetty
trump, trump trump trump" - the only circus in town.

Enough already!!  And this is from the relatively safe distance of South
Africa, I can't imagine how dreadful it's getting in the USA.

We have an actual President who carries on in a similar way. He doesn't go
out of his way to say awful things, as that wouldn't earn him any
advantage, but his every communication, verbal and nonverbal, is subtly
coded to appeal to his power base in the rural areas, in ways that few
other social groups can fully appreciate. There is ample opportunity for
the educated and the advantaged to mock him, and all it's done is to make
his position more secure.

Sally D