[Magdalen] Feast.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Dec 29 21:03:51 UTC 2015

I think the experimental stuff has been going on since the 1970s at SGN. We had
a member in our Anglican group on Prodigy who knew how to stir the pot with the
traditionalists by touting their latest liturgical innovation. It's a parish I
always have wanted to visit.

An interesting phenomena in TEC is that so many people think everyone else does
things the same, and are slaves to the BCP. But the reality is that most every
parish does things just a bit differently -- some radically differently.

A subset of that is hymn choice -- every parish has their list of favorite hymns
and want them  used often (at the expense of liturgical integrity -- same as if
they had favorite scripture passages and the lectionary was thrown out the
window). But every parish has a pretty different hymn nostalgia, so going
fromparish to parish,one will find certain hymns scheduled regularly in one
because everyone loves it, but the next parish they've never heard of it, let
alone used it in worship.

But that sort of thing also becomes a turn off to newcomers in many cases, who
as a result join St. Sleepin-on-the-Sheets.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie