[Magdalen] Feast.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 29 23:38:03 UTC 2015

On 29/12/2015 21:03, Jim Guthrie wrote:

> An interesting phenomena in TEC is that so many people think everyone
> else does things the same, and are slaves to the BCP. But the reality
> is that most every parish does things just a bit differently -- some
> radically differently.

That is not peculiar to TEC.  This side of the pond our liturgical book
is called "Common Worship" but it includes four Eucharistic rites (1662
order or more modern, bith in a choice of traditional or contemporary
language) with various options in each. I don't know how many options
that gives us in terms of the words that are said - and then there's the
choreography or ritual.

> A subset of that is hymn choice -- every parish has their list of
> favorite hymns and want them  used often (at the expense of liturgical
> integrity -- same as if they had favorite scripture passages and the
> lectionary was thrown out the window). But every parish has a pretty
> different hymn nostalgia, so going fromparish to parish,one will find
> certain hymns scheduled regularly in one because everyone loves it,
> but the next parish they've never heard of it, let alone used it in
> worship.

Equally true.

Roger