[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:48:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> I wondered on my first trip back after going off the booze what I  would
> do in these great restaurants.  I shouldn't have worried.  There  are
> dozens of regional mineral waters, and though the markup is far less
> than that of wine, it's still perfectly acceptable to order some,  say,
> Gerolsteiner with a good meal.

Some high-end restaurants in Chicago have sommeliers who can advise
well not only from the wine catalog but also from a good selection of
other beverages -- some pretending to be sort of like wine and others
completely different, like milk-based and vegetable-based bevs -- none
of which contain alcohol.

Scott, who doesn't spring for the high-end experience so much anymore
but really appreciated superstar young sommelier Alpana Singh at
Everest: insanely knowledgeable and could flip her way through
Everest's thick binder of wines and find anything instantly, yet her
constant motto was, "Drink what you like." Not an ounce of
snobbishness...I can't say that for the head sommelier who took her
place when she got a promotion to wine director of the Lettuce
Entertain You Enterprises chain (LEYE...they run Big Bowl, Food Life,
Mity Nice Grill, R.J. Grunt's, and a bunch of other places in addition
to Everest, which is appropriately at the tippy-top of the Stock
Exchange building and the price curve).

http://www.alpanasingh.com/aboutme/

--
Scott R. Knitter