[Magdalen] coffee

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 21:31:52 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> In a message dated 1/4/2015 2:22:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> pdan.brittain at gmail.com writes:
>
> French  PX in Speyer>>>>
>
> Ah....Speyer.
>
> Location of one of the "Rheinisch Triumverate"  ( the others  being
> Mainz and Worms).  Speyer Cathedral is my favorite of the trio
> of late Romanesque cathedrals, but they are all three very
> impressive.

The Kaiserdom - One of my favorite Cathedrals. We heard Michael Schneider
perform there in 1973. The place was packed, and this is not a small
church. I think the organ there is new from when we visited. We liked the
one in Worms, but not as much. Although some good memories there - we went
over to see it when we had been in country for maybe 3 months. Went up to
the door, paid our DM4 to get in the door - and there was a wedding going
on. Afterwards we talked someone into going up to the gallery to see if we
could talk with the organist. He came down and invited us up and insisted
that my wife play a piece. She looked on his bench and saw some Bach - and
did the St Anne Prelude and Fugue.

> I didn't realize there was a French PX nearby.  The non-USA PX
> that Military around Frankfurt/M were always visiting (for stereo
> equipment) was a Canadian Air Force PX near the Swiss border.

There was a small caserne in Speyer. We could go to the French liaison
officer and get one of their ration cards. The PX was smaller than an
average 7-11 store but was a good choice for wine, coffee and bread.

As I recall, the Canadian bases were in Lahr and Baden.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
 <http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted