[Magdalen] coffee

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 22:52:09 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/4/2015 5:32:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
shutchinsonca at gmail.com writes:

I  wonder how many times you passed a short, blonde Canadian teenager in
the PX  in those days, David?>>>>

Well, never on a payday Friday!

You haven't experienced shopping until you endure the commissary
on pay day, with families each pushing/pulling a shopping cart piled
with groceries, etc., and aiming at the checkouts.

But otherwise, a visit to the PX was almost a daily activity.  We  did
routinely go over to the PX at Wiesbaden, because they had a better
selection of some things, such as wines and classical recordings.

I never visited a non-USA PX, though I waited in the car while  friends
picked up stereo stuff at the Canadian PX.  Somewhat oddly for  me,
I did not pick up the stereo equipment bug while living in Europe.   I
was, instead, into antiques and modern (Danish, German, and Italian)
furniture.

When we got back to the States in 1970, essentially all our furniture
was Danish teak and Bauhaus modern.  I still have most of the stuff  -
after all, Barcelona chairs never go out of fashion.

Interestingly, my daughter is now into the same furnishings, which
will be a good way for me to start unloading.  I can't take it with  me!

David Strang.