[Magdalen] Quebec City.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:52:56 UTC 2015

I have a young friend who was raised Francophone in Montreal. At 23 she
decided to teach herself English and did so on her own and extremely well.
Her accent was adorable and she rarely made idiomatic mistakes, which is
commendable. At 28 she married a Dane she had met online several years
previously and went off to live in Denmark, where she attended a
government-sponsored language  program and passed all her levels in near
record time. Her (trilingual) Facebook page is quite a marvel to behold!
Now 33, she is a new mom who is hoping to find a position working with
special needs children in a preschool, which is what she did in
Montreal....when baby Livia is older. The funny thing about all of this is
that she was quite shy and until she decided to teach herself English
(because of a book she could not find in French) had never considered
learning another language, living anywhere but Montreal, or even going
online.