[Magdalen] Annual Meetings, votes, was test

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:41:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Jo Craddock <jocraddock at gmail.com> wrote:
> It may say more about me than the practice (and that would be correct; I am
> a miserable offender with a conniving mind) that I find this disturbing, but
> I'm wondering what the practice is where you are.

Anything could happen this year now that the parish administrator has
been let go, but normally the list of eligible voters (voting members
of the Annual Parish Meeting) is published in the bulletin a week or
two ahead of the meeting, along with bios of the candidates for vestry
and junior warden. I think the wardens have distributed paper ballots
at the start of the meeting to folks who are present and who are on
the list. Or we've been handed those on the way in. Ballots are
submitted by each individual dropping a ballot into a locked box.
Can't be too careful in Chicago, you see.

We've also had the sort of election where there's one candidate per
office, and all are elected by acclamation. This year I think the goal
is to have two or more candidates per position.

Normally our annual meeting has been held after a combined single Mass
that begins at 9:30 a.m. (our usual schedule is 8, 9, and 11 a.m.).
This year the Mass schedule won't change (we'll keep the three Masses)
and the annual meeting will happen at 10 a.m. Which limits the meeting
to about 30-35 minutes if the 11 a.m. Mass is to start on time. I'm
guessing this is to control what can be done and make sure it's not a
two- or three-hour protest session. Not sure what I think about this,
although I do know I'm to be subdeacon at the 11 a.m. Mass so I need
to be vesting by 10:45 or so.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA