[Magdalen] Annual Meetings, votes, was test

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 20 20:03:42 UTC 2015

I can relate to the notion of people with their own agenda larding up the annual
meeting with friends and relatives.

T Christ Church Bay Ridge, we had embarked on a study of why and how to change
the altar -- as much as a learning experience in parish-wide discernment as the
moving the altar (or not) itself.

We experimented with a table altar in front of the altar on the wall. We
experimented with a table altar in the midst of the choir (removing two rows of
choir pews left over from MP Days) to make room. And we experimented with a
table altar at the crossing -- really nice because it meant the wheelchair-bound
could participate with everyone else.

We were at this for about 6 Sundays each -- discovering along the way that our
two liturgy mavens knew nothing about liturgy and had no interest in the study
of same.

But the big story was the Warden who engaged a carpenter to build an altar that
HE liked and installed it as a "surprise" one Sunday Morning. "Case Closed" he
said -- "I'm tired of talk and discussion. The key is to just take action!"

Well, Fr Farrell -- already blindsided and dumbfounded insisted that the
congregation have a voice in whether to accept this "gift" (most people liked
the table at the Crossing we believed). So the Warden said, "We'll take a vote
at the Annual Meeting."

And sure enough, at  the annual meeting, his four siblings (who'd grown up in
the parish but had moved away), his mother (otherwise a shut-in), and a bunch of
other pals who had shown up once and dropped a check in the plate were there,
And sure enough the Warden's Altar won 26-22 with the 26 including has
relatives, pal, partner . . .

And that Fr. Farrell had the audacity not to accept  without such an
inconvenience to the Warden was the first nail in his coffin leading to his
dismissal by the parish.

As for Scott's parish (and many others) combing services on the annual meeting
day, I can say the best was at St Mark's Glendale, where we were members for a
few years. Fr. Stanton (yes, that one! He was already running for Bishop
**somewhere** when we left for NY in 1991 <g>)  had the meeting timed so
everyone could get home in plenty of time for the Super Bowl pregame (which
started before 3 PM in the Pacific Time Zone). And when there was extended
discussion of the budget choice between two new copy machines vs. a Youth Choir,
he cut the discussion in favor of the copy machines.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie