[Magdalen] Winter Boredom

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 19:24:19 UTC 2015

In a message dated 1/30/2015 1:13:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fleenerj at gmail.com writes:

Whitefish from
Lake Michigan, carefully baked or broiled, never  dried out.>>>

My mother, who was generally a very good cook, literally murdered
the seafood we had available in the Upper Midwest of the 1940's and
1950's.  Shellfish, and the common fish filets now available  were
not yet on the horizon in the 1940's there.

We lived on one of the innumerable lakes, and relatives and friends
would bring us tons of freshwater lake fisn - Crappies, Sunfish,  etc.,
and always  not cleaned - providing an unpleasant task for us  kids.

Mother fried the hell out of these fish and they came out tough and
bony.  I did not like fish as a result.

Enter my Uncle Utz and Aunt Alma.  They lived at the edge of  Lake
Superior, and had the good stuff available, especially Lake Superior
Whitefish.  And Aunt Alma knew how to prepare it.  It was  wonderful,
and restored my faith in sea (lake) food.

David Strang.