[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jul 7 16:32:01 UTC 2015

From: Sibyl Smirl

>I didn't notice at the time (more than fifty years ago!), because the major
>confusions of sound and rhythm were so much more noticeable, but I

The teacher also required everyone add "In Jesus Name" at the end of the NY
State Regent's Prayer -- even though 9-10 of the kids were Jewish. As their
families were Reform Jews they more or less went along with the Lord's Prayer
(assimilation knows no bounds) but when my mother brought it up at the PTA
meeting, "in Jesus name" soon disappeared.

Mrs. Vasilliotis was the first teacher I had who my mother thought (quite
vocally) not too bright.

That was after some of us spent an hour after school continuing the fun we had
had that day in afternoon recess.

The next day, she carried on about how we should go straight home from school
because our mothers would be worried sick if we weren;t home on time. She
carried on with the guilt trip to the point that some of the kids started to
cry.

Then she kept us after school for an hour an punishment.

That's how my mother concluded the teacher was an idiot.

The school prayer decisions -- first the NY State Regent's Prayer (what business
does the State of NY have in writing/requiring a prayer?) and the later ban on
organized school prayer (not a ban on prayer as some contend) couldn’t come too
soon, I think.

Cheers,
Jim

Cheers,