[Magdalen] Martha Cooks.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jul 17 18:34:04 UTC 2015

I watch a fair number of the PBS "Create" programs, and always
"Martha Cooks" and "Martha Bakes" (Martha Stewart).

Once and awhile Martha lays aside her gourmet aprons, and has some  very
simple programs.  A few weeks ago it was about cooking eggs.

I noted that she recommended what I always do for hard boiled eggs.
She recommends bringing the eggs and water to a rolling boil, and  then
turning off the burner to let the eggs finish off in the hot water.   This
way,
that nasty green line around the yolk is avoided, and the eggs are
perfect.

I was, however, surprised at her recommendations for fried eggs.
She loves that brown, crispy stuff around the edges and sometimes
bottom of the eggs which to me means that the eggs have been dropped
into an overheated pan.  I much prefer fried eggs placed into a  relatively
cool pan, and then cooked as the heat is brought up.  There is no  crispy
stuff with this method.  I like fried eggs with an oozy yolk:   not
thoroughly
cooked, but not completely runny, either.  OTOH, Martha likes them  all
runny.

I guess I can't agree with everything Martha does.

David Strang.