[Magdalen] HIPAA Redux

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:02:05 UTC 2015

We witnessed a blatant HIPAA violation in the office of my dear partner's
former psychiatrist. As we sat there he took a call from the nearby
hospital and authorized something for a newly admitted suicide attempter.
We clearly heard his full name and date of birth as well as a few details
of his mental health history.  It all happened so fast it didn't occur to
me until it was over that he or we should have been out of the room. But if
I focused on remembering the info I could have gone online and found out a
lot more.  Glad I forgot it rather promptly.