[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 21:47:06 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/26/2015 4:58:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
anthonyfmclavier at gmail.com writes:

The  announcers then all had upper crust accents
and  vocabularies.>>>>>

One of my favorite TV shows is "Castle".  I saw a repeat episode last  week
that featured a Scotland Yard character who made reference to his
schooling at Eton.  Trouble was, his accent, even to an outsider like  me,
was distinctly non-Oxbridge.  However, I'm sure the character  "flew"
here in North America, because few are aware that Eton traditionally
beats out regional accents and replaces them with Received  Pronunciation
as a matter of course.

David Strang - With a very non upper-crust Upper Midwest accent,
tinged with Norwegian inflections.