[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 27 16:32:16 UTC 2015

On 27/07/2015 15:46, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Interesting, too, in that I find more and more people using the British
> (and Commonwealth) "in hospital* rather than *in the hospital" as most
> Americans have been wont to say since I can remember. Of course News
> reporters simply duck the issue by saying "hospitalized".

There's a very good reason for dropping the definite article this side
of the pond.  People from a particular area may go to one of a number of
hospitals.  Simply saying "in hospital" conveys the information that
they are not at home because of illness or whatever.  If you wish to say
they are in a particular hospital then you give the name or some other
clear identifier.

Roger