[Magdalen] What We Believe - St. Paul's Bellingham

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jul 30 20:14:09 UTC 2015

It's the best of this sort of thing I've ever read.  That being said,
they've got the scripture/tradition/reason thing wrong.  Scripture is
definitely the "longest leg" on the 3-legged stool, with priority over
tradition and reason.  Scripture is interpreted through the lenses of
tradition and reason, which is why it's not truly a "3-legged stool" at
all.  And any tradition or reason that contradicts scripture is not
acceptable -- which is the root of the decisions about homosexuality in the
church, and why scriptural interpretations are so important.  Equality is
not about just a big group hug and "Kumbayah," but rather a thought out
scriptural and theological position (and the "new" baptismal vows from 1979
BCP).

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY