[Magdalen] Coffee Anyone?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 01:44:24 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/30/2015 5:29:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lesleymdv at gmail.com writes:

But  David, I thought that a multisectional service that essentially
lasted all  Sunday morning was the ne plus ultra of Lutheran worship,
historically  speaking, anyway. Where not every person attended every
part of the  proceedings. Maybe Bach's Coffee Cantata was originally
intended to slot  into this culture!
Regards
Lesley de  Voil>>>>>

For much of North American Lutheran history, the liturgy has
consisted of essentially the ante-communion with a full communion
liturgy once or twice per month.  The Swedes were more high  church,
so their liturgy was fancier and sometimes with Eucharistic  vestments.
Norwegians tended to be very low church.  The Germans and Danes
somewhere in between.  The German Lutherans got saddled with  their
Reform friends by an act of the State in the nineteenth century, and
that tended to clip any German high church tendencies in the bud.
For example, the present Evangelische canons disallow Eucharistic
vestments.

It's revealing to listen to that now out of print Arkiv recording  which
recreates the morning long extravaganza you describe.  It's so  grand
I think I'd be a Lutheran if their worship were so grand.

David Strang.