[Magdalen] She's leaving church

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:46:11 UTC 2015

I have had similar feelings for some time.  Regarding church as a bunch
that tries to make sense of something that ultimately just cannot. Looking
at more and more of the elements as simply metaphor for something
ineffable, but at last I just don't find it offering anything aside from
the social amenities.

My recorder group is affiliated with a local Lutheran church, and we were
asked to provide some music for a service with combined folks from several
congregations.  I think it was ascension or something.  I was welcomed into
the combined choir, so I just stayed for the entire performance.  An old
and dear friend from my old parish asked if I would possibly be coming back
and I just said, "Music is my church now."

I don't know how it seems to make sense for some and does not for others,
and maybe it doesn't really matter.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford