[Magdalen] Naturalization Ceremony

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:25:34 UTC 2015

If you have some spare time (and any desire to reactivate
your knowledge of civics), approach your local public library
and offer citizenship classes for those taking the test. I've done
this several times. Incredibly rewarding. And you get to go with
your students when they take the oath.

When we have no women studying for the test, we offer
conversational English classes. Also very rewarding. Some
of these women are really stuck in the house/apartment
while their husbands go out as cab or livery drivers, so that
their husbands learn English much faster than they do.
Gotta redress!

I've tried to get the branch librarian to consult with the main
branch to create a small Arabic collection, which would
bring more women to the classes. So far, no luck, but I
haven't given up.
-M