[Magdalen] Shock in Situ.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 20:52:17 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/7/2015 4:13:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

David, I  thought I had relayed all this some years back when I visited
there while  we were in Madison during the weekend of my 40th HS reunion.
It was a shock  to me at the time, especially since I had sung in that
choir. However, it  is a damn miracle the place is still alive, as a priest
of the 70s caused  such a split in the congregation that it nearly died a
horrible, lingering  death. It was quite awhile coming back, apparently,
but made it, and by the  time I visited was breathing pretty easily again. I
didn't recognize  anybody in the congregation when I visited except one man,
and he had some  dementia and didn't remember me.>>>>>>

When you mention this, I do recall that you have Saint Andrew's
connections, but I'd forgotten any details you provided.

It does appear that the parish has strong musical connections still,
and with the organ is undoubtedly a very nice domain for all sorts
of music.

Was the priest you mention Fr. Shaw?  I knew of his being rector
there, but not much more.  He would be about my age now, and
long since gone.

I knew a whole bunch of priests around that period from my activity
at Saint Francis House, the Episcopal Student Center.  One of  those
was the son of +Hallock, who committed suicide as a young priest,  sadly.

At any rate, what was the source of the divisiveness?

David Strang.