[Magdalen] Shock in Situ.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 7 21:15:32 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>I pledged never again to walk into the family home in NW Wisconsin
>after it was sold in 1998.  From what I hear, that was a good  decision, for
>the home I knew is long since gone.

We went to the 96th birthday party for the last living survivor of the Knox
Mining disaster in 1959 ( mining company owned by crooks was mining under the
Susquehanna River when they mined too close to the riverbed and the min
flooded -- killing 12. It took several days for the survivors to be accounted
for).

In any case, the party was at his boyhood home --purchased by a nephew who has
restored it to  the way it looked when Bill was a boy -- complete with a
monitor-top refrigerator, an anthracite-burning Pittston stove and all the
furniture (new, not original)  (and the piano which is original)) based on
family photos. No one lives in the house -- but it's definitely a museum piece
(Bill lives on the next block).

I've visited the house in Lynbrook -- the owner showed us around inside -- I
told him stories of this and that; he reached up to the rafters in the furnace
room and pulled down my fishing rod from when I was very young. We had
forgotten it when we moved in 1958, and the people who bought the house had
never noticed. The owner and I agreed that it should stay in rafters (along with
a few other rod and reels)  for the next owner, who might have kids who like to
fish.

>I will admit the case is stunning, but we now have the "worship the  organ"
>layout.

As it should be universally so, according to some of the snootiest organists
I've known.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie