[Magdalen] Enjoying a colleague's accent

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 10:00:31 UTC 2015

Not really because in 8th-10th Centuries the Danes invaded north to middle
England and many settled here.

When I was in Frisby I was spoken to as "ay up me duck" which I am told
comes from the Danish invaders

"Like  that of _Yorkshire_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire) ,  the
East Midlands dialect owes much of its grammar and vocabulary to Nordic
influences, the region having been incorporated in the Norse controlled
_Danelaw_ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelaw)  in the late 9th century. At
this time,  the county towns of the East Midlands counties became Viking
fortified city  states, known as the _Five  Boroughs of the Danelaw_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Boroughs_of_the_Danelaw) .  For example, the East
Midlands verb to scraight ('to cry') is thought to be  derived from the
Norse,skrike in modern Scandinavian, also meaning to  cry._[2]_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_English#cite_note-autogenerated1-3) "
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_English)

Blessings
Martin