[Magdalen] Bp. Wright OKs same sex weddings

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:05:59 UTC 2015

I don't understand the idea that weddings shouldn't take place outdoors. Isn't God's Creation about as sacred as a place could be?  The first time I ran into this was when a friend of my daughter's wanted an outdoor wedding. She was Episcopalian and her husband Catholic. The Catholic priest was willing to do the wedding, but told them it couldn't be outdoors. So they asked me to do it. A friend of theirs who was a Jesuit priest participated, but he had me pronounce the blessing.

I still don't know why the Catholic Church doesn't permit outdoor weddings, but I'm sure someone on here can enlighten me...  I don't prefer them, for a whole lot of non-theological reasons, but I've done a number of them, and I can't come up with a theological reason for objecting.

On 2015-06-29, at 11:59 PM, Sally Davies wrote:

> We have that same 'outdoors' rule here, must be a Colonial hangover.

This used to be the case in Canada. The Marriage Canon was changed several years ago at the behest of First Nations people. Outdoor venues require the Bishop's permission in most dioceses.

My sister wanted me to perform her wedding a few years ago. I needed permission from the bishop in the diocese in which she was living. She wanted an outdoor wedding, was divorced twice (one only is allowed by canon), and is not baptized (neither was her fiance). I told her that I might be able to sort out the outdoor part, but not the others -- especially not in a different diocese with a strict bishop! She understood. The official part of the wedding was done by a provincial marriage commissioner (a specifically licensed non religious offficial in British Columbia). I gave a blessing at the end.

blessings
Susan

The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148