[Magdalen] Bp. Wright OKs same sex weddings

Gail Edwards gailedwards5.anglican at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:43:18 UTC 2015

Not sure, but it may have to do with the various ways the church tried to prevent clandestine marriage, irregular marriage, coerced marriage, forced marriage.

So banns were read in the home parish of both parties - announcing publicly that a marriage would take place, the ceremony could only be performed during certain hours of the day (so no nocturnal surreptitious ceremony), both parties had to be of sound mind and legal age, the family of the bride consented publicly to the marriage (the "giving" of the bride by her father), the community was given one last chance to voice concerns about irregularities ("speak now or forever hold your peace." I'm assuming that outdoor marriages introduced the possibility of unregulated "marriage on the fly" outside the regulatory gaze of the community.

Gail in Vancouver