[Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

Roger Stokes r.s.stokes.65 at cantab.net
Fri Mar 13 17:20:13 UTC 2015

------ Original Message ------
From: "ME Michaud" <michaudme at gmail.com>
To: "magdalen at herberthouse.org" <magdalen at herberthouse.org>
Sent: 13/03/2015 17:07:08
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

>I sat with my mother as she was dying and I was ASTONISHED at
>the similarities with labor and childbirth. Many years later I had a
>friend who was a doula, and she said the same. Her father's dying
>was more like childbirth than she ever would have imagined.
>
>I remember thinking it was as if my mother were giving birth to
>her new self.

I ;oke that description which certainly chimes with our faith.

>One of my old friends died of Alzheimer's because she forgot how
>to eat. She choked to death, if you can beleve it.

I can believe it.  My mother-in-law had a form of Parkinson's which
would end with the inability to swallow one's own saliva.  It was
pitiful to watch her decline.  I think being told of Joan's death
triggered her letting go of this life.

Roger