[Magdalen] We did it!

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:33:11 UTC 2015

Back in the 90s my son observed during one of our marathon NCAA
tournament-watching weekends, "I always forget just how *white* Big Ten
basketball is!" Which was true at the time, except for Michigan, and is
still true to a great deal, though less so with the addition of Rutgers and
Maryland. Incidentally, on the message boards I frequent, because it is no
longer ten teams, it is increasingly referred to as the B1G.

As mentioned, I am much more a fan of the women's game, owing to a long
residence in Tennessee where the Lady Vols are an object of adulation.
Since I am a pre-Title IX tomboy who was forced to play that dreadful split
court game, and am short to boot, I have great admiration for the girls who
can play like the boys. Since I moved up here I have been somewhat
following the local team, JMU, (James Madison) who just won their
conference and so secured an auto-bid to the women's NCAA. They might well
have gotten an at-large as they are pretty darn good. One of the girls on
the team worked at our local Costco last summer and I got to know her a
little. On the court she is fierce and scary; otherwise she is polite and
soft-spoken and almost a little shy.