[Magdalen] and also with me...

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:31:17 UTC 2015

Dear Friends,

I am a breast cancer survivor, although the DCIS I was treated for 5 years
ago this month is barely malignant.  BUT, I had an abnormal mammogram last
week and had further diagnostic studies today.  I probably have a
recurrence of DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ), near where the tumor was
located 5 years ago.  This is actually good news, because it is probably
not an invasive malignancy.   With DCIS there is no concern about
chemotherapy and the survival rates are quite high….even with a
recurrence.  Because I have already had radiation, I can have no more of
that, so surgery would be the only option.

AND, note the probably, this may be benign calcifications.  The appearance
is significantly different than the other benign calcifications visible on
mammogram.  These are smaller and are in a line, obviously following a
duct.

Dr. Bethea, the radiologist I trust greatly from 5 years ago, went over
everything with me.  She did a stereotactic biopsy today, and I should have
the results from that late tomorrow or Wednesday.  Whatever, I’ll be quite
prepared to see Dr. Christian, my oncologist, on Thursday, an already
scheduled check up.

Not to worry.

Much love,

Ginga