[Magdalen] trying to sell my house

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri May 8 10:53:38 UTC 2015

From: Charles Wohlers

?At least in Massachusetts, religious organizations don't have to pay any
>attention to zoning. They can (legally at least) build anything they want
>anywhere they want. I would presume Illinois would be the same. So, if the
>Benedictines own it, it can be anywhere. OTOH, if you own it, there may be
>problems with zoning - especially in the suburbs.

The federal Religious Freedom Law prevents zoning issues (There are tussles over
parking lots and certain non-religious use of course.  But zoning is not related
to taxation. Taxing and Zoning Authorities each do their best to keep an arms
length between them because relating them would be an attorneys' full employment
act <g>.

And Scott did not pose a religious organization building and owning it either.
It was "joint ownership" -- which would not likely be covered. if and
"Independent, non-affiliated  religious group set up a chapel in someone's home,
how likely would the taxing authorities buy into a "religious exemption"? Or
even the zoning people?

In essence, that is what Scott is proposing.  Elgin or any other municipality
would have grounds to stop it,  you can be sure. My guess is that Scott does not
have the resources to pursue such a course to the U.S. Supreme Court

Cheers,
Jim