[Magdalen] 5 Easter sermon, was Baptism refused...

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue May 12 00:39:19 UTC 2015

On 5/11/15 7:13 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/2015 8:06:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:
>
> Why we  don't believe in the "traditional family" mythology. She had five
> children  by my great great grandfather Blok, and the Handyman sired six
> more! My
> mother met some of the Louewens when she was a little girl, but they
> pretty much
> disappeared when they came of  age.>>>>
>
> For much of the world back in that day, having a lot of children was
> routine.  Usually, though, it was the wives who died away leaving  the
> husband to start a new family.
>
> In the case of my maternal great grandfather, there were 10 children  from
> the first mother, and then an addition 7 children with the second
> mother - my great grandmother.
>
> They had run out of names, and so there was some reuse.  There
> are two sibling Andrew Liums, for example.  This makes genealogy a  real
> nightmare.

My mother, born 1906, was the middle child of eleven, my father, born
1903, was the youngest of "only" six.  Both wives of my father's father
died young, the first of childbed fever, my own grandmother of breast
cancer.  My mother's mother, whom I remember, was very proud of raising
all of her eleven to adulthood, while my father lost two half-siblings
to diphtheria before he was born.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net