[Magdalen] Time for the Next Generation.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon May 18 19:25:13 UTC 2015

My daughter, Wendy, and her husband, Neal, are here helping me close
out two storage units that we have rented far too long.

We decided to take advantage of the fact that they are driving back  from
Pennsylvania to Denver, CO, and will have some room for "stuff".

We therefore have packed up our sterling flatware and set of  china,
and it will go back to be split up between the two grand-daughters
(Wendy and Neal already have their own flatware and china).

It's been number of years since I've used any of these things, and
there is a great feeling of completion and continuity in passing  this
stuff on to a younger generation.

I gather that most new couples don't even bother with fancy flatware
and china/crystal because it's expensive, and has gone out of style.

We had fun with these things when we were younger, and my
mother started my little collection with a few settings of both the
china and flatware.  I bought settings periodically at the now
merged Marshall Field's.  The successor, Macy's, doesn't even
carry fine china/crystal and flatware any more.  One has to go  to
Bloomingdale's to find them.

It's no wonder, with its choice to be a low-end retailer that Macy's
now finds themselves in trouble, and are closing 150+ stores
in the USA.  There's just too much competition for the low end  stuff.

David Strang.