[Magdalen] Time for the Next Generation.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 18 20:46:19 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>It's no wonder, with its choice to be a low-end retailer that Macy's
>now finds themselves in trouble, and are closing 150+ stores
>in the USA.  There's just too much competition for the low end  stuff.

The president of Macy's once said that Macy's and Bloomingdales carried much the
same items. I can tell you that when selling women's dresses, they bought the
same styles from us, but with a higher MSRP at Bloomingdales <g> We always had
to designate the Macy's styles and Bloomindales styles separately so the
factories in Asia could figures out how to pack the same dresses with different
prices. And then there were the cartons ready for "Markdown Sales" where the
MSRP was crossed out in pen with a new price scribbled in ink by the workers in
the Chinese factories -- that made for three sets for each style.

Markdown and super-sales involved people on the Macy's floor working overnight
to remove everything at the  "regular" price and substituting the same dresses
on the same racks with the handwritten "markdown" price -- and then reverse the
process at the end of the "Sale."

In any  case of the story closings, Macy's was more generous with itself when it
purchased May Company -- not closing near enough stores that were too close to
each other. They had hardly worked out enough closings from the earlier folding
in of the different Federated brands into Macy's (I'm thinking particularly if
Rich's/Lazarus/Goldsmith's for example). And May Company didn’t close enough
neighboring stores when they purchased Dayton's/Hudson's/Marshall Field
from Target.

Macy's is hardly the down-market of Target, Kohl's, or Kmart/Sears.   it's still
mid-range. And it competes in that market with regionals like Belk's Dillard's,
Boscov's  Bon Ton (which includes much of the old Proffitt's, Younkers/McRae's
The Boston Store, the Mercantile, Bergner's, Carson's (itself a combination of
Carson's-Pirie and Scott's) and the (former) Elder-Beerman.

J.C. Penney lost it's niche when the Hedge Fund guy took over and helped kill
the business. Since then (and despite his departure) J.C. Penney has tried
up-market, down-market, mid-market and only succeeded in confusing and driving
away much of its long-term customer base and continues to hemorrhage cash --
unlike Macy's which remains quite profitable with rising net profits.

And I commend to your attention to

http://www.wsj.com/articles/macys-sales-profit-miss-expectations-1431519981

If you think Macy;s is going down-market.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

PS and don’t remind Chicagoans putting on airs that becoming Macy's made it just
NOT another Target store <g>. And for those of us who are enamored by organ
music, Macy's has invested heavily in restoring and refurbishing the Wanamaker
Organ -- something previous owners (Lord  Taylor, Broadway Stores, and even
Wanamakers itself failed to do for years. It's overseen by the same department
that runs the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade  and the now-iconic Macy's July 4
Fireworks display over New York's Harbor.

How many large companies have spent a dime restoring iconic civic organ
treasures like Macy's?