[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie1 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 1 21:52:50 UTC 2015

>Yes, I am in recovery.  Yes, I am a party poop.  But addiction, and
>specifically alcoholism, is killing our brothers and sisters.  We cannot keep
>silent

I think an awareness of the history is useful:

A hundred years ago, the prohibitionists were hard at work trying to ban
alcohol. Once they passed the income tax to replace excise taxes on alcohol, and
then Women's suffrage to ensure passage of the 18th amendment (and you thought
women's suffrage was some sort of crusade about the rights of women!) we got
what some in recovery seem to want now.

Some of the results of this experiment are well known, others are not: like the
fact the rich could get all the alcohol they wanted (usually from Canadian
Friends); Roman Catholics who were well-connected and generous in their parish
could get all the wine they wanted from the priests (a process that made the
Gallo Brothers Millionaires and established Gallo Wines as a major force).

Poor people got screwed, of course. But everyone "knew" the poor had no self
control and therefore had to be "Protected" from themselves.

And of course, there are millions of Americans who simply don’t drink at all for
religious or other reasons. Mormons, many conservative evangelicals etc.have
never touched the stuff, and aren’t likely to start.  Certainly my conservative
religionist cousins fall into that category; and when my folks were first
married, Aunt Cornelia dumped the entire family liquor cabinet down the sink,
thus imposing her religious views on the family.

(I think it was the only time they sent her packing for Grand Rapids sooner than
her usual return).  She later apologized and promised never to do that again.

It should be noted that most of them take a hands-off view toward those who don’t
share that faith. And at the same time have little or no understanding of people
in recovery, regarding their situation as a product of moral failure in the
first place.

Alcoholism is a disease, obviously. But trying to protect people in recovery or
from themselves (in some cases) is far more complicated, I think.

Cheers,
Jim