[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 5 18:12:06 UTC 2015

From: Lynn Ronkainen

>I have found that anyone saying 'no' to alcohol in church, unless it is the
>priest, is in a minority.

I've been known to say "No" by simply not going to church. We had a priest (in
recovery) who would not partake from the chalice, but as warden and often the
last to receive, I’d be instructed to "finish it." This was okay if it were a
sip or two, but if he misjudged, there might be almost a chalice-full. And even
more than that sip or two of sweet port is simply sickening, I think.

I have better things to do than to even ever-so-slightly under the influence at
any time before bedtime.  So when I was still driving and had an afternoon place
to go, I simply went to church elsewhere on Sunday morning, not wanting to take
the chance.

I also lined up to receive at the beginning of communion much more often after
about the second time.

We had an "official" piscina, but the stiff-necked Protestants on the Altar
Guild would go ballistic at the very thought of using it, as it hinted that the
elements amounted to something other than "mere memorial."

Cheers,
Jim