[Magdalen] 21.5 stone...ugh

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 00:35:13 UTC 2015

But, it was likely that way when they began living there. When my
parents bought this house in 1975, there were six grocery stores within
two miles; four at or within one mile. Two were in one shopping strip;
two others directly across the street from each other, so competition
was fierce. (And, at least five different banks, two S&Ls, two barber
shops, a print shop, two fabric shops, three drug stores, two women's
boutiques, a full department store, three five-and-dimes, a theater
(demolished this month), several restaurants, two "neighborhood" bars,
and more.)

Only one of those six groceries remains, and it has actually moved to a
newer building just a little over two miles away, but also across a
heavy traffic artery without shoulders or sidewalks; dangerous to
traverse on foot or bike.

Thanks, somewhat, to the attention brought to food deserts here, we've
actually acquired a locally-owned grocery in one of those six old sites,
this year. Downtown Baton Rouge, too, once again has a locally-owned
grocery store (as well as a convenience-type store - mostly soft drinks,
alcohol, and tobacco).

But, many other areas are still out of luck, and more will be
inconvenienced in time and money as most chains close up shop as soon as
they hear of another Walmart Neighborhood Market in the works.
Albertson's is the lone hold-out, here, and judging by my last trip
there, I wonder how long they will continue to put up the fight.

Peace,
Jo