[Magdalen] And so it begins...

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Nov 27 15:41:59 UTC 2015

Well, Pumpkin Pie does have a mild flavor, but not nearly as mild as
custard pie.  It is spiced, with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice,
which to my taste blend perfectly with pumpkin's natural flavor, which
you say you have tasted, and add to it.  It's also sweetened with sugar,
or brown sugar, or maple sugar, or honey: if the choice is of the latter
three, they also add their distinctive flavors, as well as sweetness.
    Americans also make pies which resemble pumpkin pie, and often also
may make their appearance on the Thanksgiving table, such as squash
(vegetable marrows), especially Butternut Squash or Acorn Squash, and
Sweet Potato Pie.  (Sweet Potatoes as chunks, variously seasoned and
sweetened even more, without a crust, do make their appearance as
Thanksgiving "trimmings" as a vegetable).  Sweet Potatoes are often
called "yams" here, but I believe that they are different from African
yams, and the British might be more familiar with the African sort, as
closer geographically.  Pecan Pie, including its chocolate variety, is
usual, too.
    At a dinner with a large family, people will usually have their
choice of many sorts of pie, each adult woman bringing her own specialty
to add to the table (I always brought a cake, not being good with pie
crust).  My mother's favorite pie to make was cherry, not so absolutely
traditional at Thanksgiving, but always cleaned up.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net