[Magdalen] VTS Chapel,

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 19:03:53 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, Scott, but that sounds like a nightmare! How can folks even hear the words in the midst of all that ringing?!  ;^}
> In one church where I supply fairly often, they have a set of bells that the choir director's mother found in an antique store. They sit on the organ console, and the choir director rings them at three points during the Eucharistic Prayer. I can't say I'm even sure exactly where he rings them, but when I haven't been there for awhile, the first one always takes me completely by surprise!

:) The rings are pretty quick (or should be) and are during pauses.
And the occurrences of bell-ringing have increased. When we were first
trained as acolytes, there were four rings: (1) The "warning" bell
just before the words of institution; (2) One longish ring as the host
was elevated; (3) Ditto for the chalice; (4) As the celebrant
communicated. "The Fourth Bell" triggered a lot of other things:
bringing of the second chalice, closing of the Communion rail gate,
movement of the people toward the rail; etc. And at the time, the
genuflect-elevate-genuflect was just a simple elevation followed by a
genuflexion.

Who knows what we'll be doing with the new clergy that will soon be
doing things. Probably an increase of some things and a lessening of
others. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA