[Magdalen] health care...

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 23:53:41 UTC 2015

The press does such a crappy job of covering medicine :-(

The American Cancer Society has revised its guidelines. The American
College of Surgeons isn't on board yet. It will take awhile for this to
work itself out. But you probably shouldn't worry too much. My own
experience is that I lost several friends to breast cancer back in the
1970s but NOT ONE since. New treatments and protocols are so much better.

Back in the sixties and seventies nearly all children diagnosed with bone
cancer died. Today, almost all survive.

Someone recommended The Emperor of All Maladies. I bought it the week I
read the NYTimes book review. It was a fabulous book, and deserved its
Pulitzer. I'm sure it's in your local library. And it will help you
understand the evolution of cancer treatment, which has changed
dramatically even in the past decade.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015, Lynn Ronkainen <houstonklr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I becoming paranoid here?  Will the government start deciding who/what
> can get the kind of treatment a doctor would have heretofore have
> recommended?  Were all these 'steps', some of which have had phase-in plans
> from the start, intended to cause profit only?    And don't get me started
> about the Medicaid info

Try not to confuse Medicare & Medicaid. Oh, and the government already
exerts force on doctors by refusing reimbursement for unnecessary testing &
procedures. This is a good thing, believe me. There are unscrupulous
physicians who love the income unnecessary tests & procedures provides.
-M