[Magdalen] health care...

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 21 17:22:56 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>Nothing like this USA situation exists elsewhere, I am led to  believe,
>and it certainly isn't that USA healthcare professionals are  substandard
>in comparison with other countries.

Tort law in America is the free market substitute for absent government
regulation, not to mention prosecution of certain kinds of wrongdoing that end
up in civil courts here. Smart regulation with teeth in many fields would dry up
much of the market. Doing what other countries do, require an upfront retainer
before any action begins would also work wonders, I think. But attempts at
"reform" in this country always seem to rely on stopping all tort claims --
legit or not -- as a way of protecting business -- even the crooks and don’t
include a regulatory component.

Other countries have both regulation and laws against ads like we have here that
tout the notion that "Justice=Money" or my absolute favorite, "You may be
entitled to a huge cash settlement even if you are at fault!"

It should be noted that the poorest states, such as Mississippi and Alabama have
the most tort law awards -- promoting suits as something like buying a winning
lottery ticket contributes mightily to this. Heavy regulation states like New
York and Massachusetts have far less of this stuff.

Rather than seek good and equitable reform, The medical lobby has tried its best
to rely on special pleading when it comes to this stuff. And as we know that
special pleading has worked out wonderfully for the gun lobby, which Congress
exempted from tort law.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie