[Magdalen] Wafting Odors.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Oct 26 15:47:21 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/26/2015 10:36:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

I'd  never seen this before. Portuguese, French, Italian, Greek, Asian  men,
African and African-American men were commonly seen out&about with  their
children and grandchildren alone, of course. In France I was  often
impressed by the fact that any man would pick up & comfort a  crying
child. But I'd never seen a fair-haired man outdoors alone with a  baby
before.>>>>>>>>>>

It was just the opposite for me.  Everyone, it seems, in my home
village was a Scandinavian and blonde with blue eyes, including me.

I recall one handy man who worked occasionally for my parents.
Unusually, he was not Scandinavian, but of German ethnic background.
They called him, "Herman the German."

I remember walking along the streets of Oslo, and finding everyone
looked like they were from the Upper Midwest.

There were no blacks in the county.  I distinctly recall seeing  a
magazine in a drug store that, unusually, featured a black man on the
cover.  I was totally flabbergasted, and said to myself, "Whoa.   What
is THIS?"

It was the same going off to UW-Madison and rooming (freshmen were
assigned arbitrarily) with a boy from Racine who was of Italian  ancestry,
with light skin, dark hair and short-cropped beard:  What species is
this?  His father owned 25 McDonalds in the Racine (pronounced
"ray-SEEN") area.  He finished his degree and his father gave  him
a half dozen McDonalds restaurants for his graduation.

We did have one Chippewa Indian in my class (last name:  Pike).

David Strang.  Now grey-haired and blue eyed.