[Magdalen] Autumn Splendor.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:15:48 UTC 2015

...had no idea roadside cultivars held such danger and adventure!!
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

In a message dated 10/26/2015 11:46:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:

Young
beeches especially tend to keep their leaves all winter, but it's a very
dead looking brown and not (IMHO) particularly  attractive.>>>>>>>

When I lived in West Central Wisconsin I had a neighbor who was
from Pennsylvania originally, and had brought back and successfully
raised a now 30' American Beech from that State.

American Beech comes into extreme Eastern Wisconsin only, and so
I decided to go there to get one.  There is a good state highway  (29)
that runs across the State, and is quite picturesque.  The drive  took
about 3-4 hours until I spotted a grove of beeches right along the
road.

Spade in hand, I attempted several saplings to no avail because they
all had prominent "sucker" roots which I did not want to cut.

Finally though, I got two nice saplings about 2' in height, and had  just
finished loading them in my trunk when a shot rang out and struck a
tree nearby.  It seems that despite my being in highway  department
land, some landowner was taking exception to my digging (It was not
hunting season).

Never have I peeled away from roadside that fast before or since.

In any case both seedlings took, and last time I checked were in the
20' stage.

David Strang.

David Strang.