[Magdalen] Priest in Charge.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 4 22:31:52 UTC 2015

On 04/09/2015 20:23, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In a message dated 9/4/2015 2:20:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:
>
> , that  was what I found--they had
> a strong senior and junior warden, and people  had stepped up.>>>>>>
>
>   To some extent that has happened at the Procathedral because it's been
> several years since their last full time Rector left.
>
> OTOH, I have alluded before to the previous senior warden's monthly
> "sermon" in the Procathedral newsletter.  This warden was a nice  guy,
> and gave a lot of time to the Procathedral, but why this would  include
> delivering sermons to the faithful despite no credentials for such,
> is beyond me.  I think sometimes in scarce clergy situations, the  lines
> between what activities are appropriate for the laity and what  activities are not appropriate for the laity get blurred.

The bottom line is that no credentials are required for writing
something in a newsletter apart from the editor having passed it.
"Sermons" occur within the context of official services.  Does anybody
remember the old practice of extinguishing the candles after the third
collect at Morning and Evening Prayer since that is when the office
ended?  Any oration after that point was not a sermon but an address,
and that did not require the bishop's licensing of the orator.

Roger