[Magdalen] Worship leader

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 7 18:06:26 UTC 2015

On 07/09/2015 17:17, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> In a message dated 9/7/2015 10:51:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:
>
> At my  parish in Mass., we often have Morning Prayer when the rector is on
> vacation. On those occasions, we have two of our regular LEM's lead the
> service. We're only licensed as chalice bearers - whether that's strictly
> "legal" or not, I don't know, but that's what we  do.>>>>>>
>

> I think it's legal, though some dioceses require a license from the
> bishop for sermonizing.  In the Diocese of Eau Claire even a
> licensed layreader could read an approved sermon.  There were
> no sermons composed by layreaders.

Here in the Diocese of St Albans laypeople are being trained and then
authorised as worship leaders.  The intention of this is to get to the
position where each church can have a service each Sunday at a regular
time foir that parish.  They will not be allowed to preach, as that
requires more formal training iver three years, but they will be able to
conduct a Service of the Word.

Roger