[Magdalen] Prayers for Ascension, Chicago

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 15 19:28:41 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>The far-flung community that would travel an hour or longer to reach
>my home parish stopped making the effort.

>My old Saint Paul parish closed Easter Sunday this year.

As Father Richards of blessed memory at St Paul's K Street would say, "It's not
about liturgy, let alone smells and bells and all the rest. A parish has to have
a vision and be thoroughly engaged with its community."  I suspect that's one of
the reasons StPKSt helped launch the bête noir of many -- Mitch Snyder and his
Coalition for the Homeless, for example. And despite the preponderance of right
wingers/FBI Agents/ex-military people both Richards and Fr. Martin (Curate at
the time -- later a Rector himself), were adamantly opposed to the Viet Nam War.

Cheers,
Jim