[Magdalen] Beating Wikipedia to the punch.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 05:19:26 UTC 2015

grocery in city and suburban  area / Houston - Albertson moved into Houston about 12 years ago and never really caught on as a regional chain HEB had only recently come to town. When A'sons packed up and left about 1/2 their stores got bought up by Kroger. Safeway decamped in the early '80s during an economic downturn here and then about 10 years ago bought up a local formerly "tony" chain Randalls which retained their name but carries Safeway store brands. Aldi moved in a few years ago about the same time Trader Joes opened up 2 locations. We've had Whole foods (started in Austin TX) for years but now they're expanding into upscale suburban areas. Fiesta is a regional chain that began by appealing to Mexican food lovers and they have great produce too... And then another regional chain Food Town is located in lower end areas around the city and they also have great produce.  Within 5 miles of where I live I could shop at 10 different grocery stores and have a choice of more than one of at least 3 of them.  Oh and then there's Walmart....

When I was feeding 5 I would look at all the weekly circulars and shop sales accordingly. Now, cooking for one I try not to over shop and sometimes succeed!
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone